Friday, April 8, 2011

Living Large in the Studio!


For this Friday's blog post, Finn and I thought it would be fun to give you a tour of our 350 square feet of studio living.  As many of you know,  we have a garage that was converted into a studio workshop/apartment/band practice room/storage area throughout the years.  It was an absolute mess when we bought the house, with no foundation, many types of floor and wall coverings, no insulation, etc.  We just used it for storage for many years with the idea that one day we would remodel it and it could be temporary living space for us when the big house eventually went through it's expansion.  So about 6 years ago we started the project and through the amazing construction skills and hard work of Adam and me as design assistant and cheap labor, we added skylights and new roof shingles, a new concrete foundation with radiant heat flooring, insulation, new walls, doors and windows and a bathroom as well as custom made (by Adam of course) bamboo cabinets.  It really was a never ending project that took much longer than we could have ever imagined but now that we are living in the awesome results, it was so worth it!  So first, some before pics:





Doesn't this look like fun?  Good times!


Pretty scary and way too much work!  Here are the after pics:







As you can see, Finn is pleased with the results!  We have been living back here for over a month and it has never really felt too small.  It is way more comfortable and efficient than the front house ever was and the studio also has a very tropical, island vacation feel to it, except when I look out our windows and see this:


This is not Tahiti!  Happy Friday!




3 comments:

  1. Such an amazing space. I know, I say that everytime I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karin, your compliments mean a lot! Everything you design is amazing and I would love to take another class in your beautiful art studio soon for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete