Tuesday, June 7, 2011

L.A. Field Trip!


Finn and I took a very spur of the moment field trip yesterday to L.A., Finn's first visit there!  A couple of friends, Liz, Hannah and Finn's little girlfriend Isla, were going to go to the The Getty Museum and we decided at 8am monday morning to drive up and meet them there.  We left about an hour before they did so we could go check out this boutique hotel and cafe that looked really neat.  I had read about The Farmers Daughter Hotel in West Hollywood years ago and decided that their adjacent cafe called Tart would be a good breakfast stop on the way to the Getty.  There were so many cool, funky farmhouse style design details to enjoy looking at, I am so glad we stopped by for a visit!






After enjoying a yummy breakfast of whole grain french toast and fruit, Finn and I walked around the little outside patio and hotel.  It was very empty on a monday morning but I am betting it is quite the fun scene on the weekends.



Lots of outdoor lights strung across the patio.


Cowboy Finn taking it all in while his crazy mama enjoyed her photo shoot of the place!



The whole glass wall of the reception area opens up to the patio.




This wall was covered in reclaimed wood, a project we are hoping to do in our new house with our salvaged ceiling boards.


Just as we were about to leave, my friends called.  They had just arrived at the Getty to find it closed!!!  Whoops, no one checked to make sure it was open on mondays.  It was a big disappointment for us all, especially since Hannah was visiting all the way from New Zealand.  But, we regrouped and quickly made other fun plans to meet on the Santa Monica Pier, probably the only pier in California that I had never been to!  We had such a nice time enjoying the scenery and gorgeous weather.


                                       


The amazing view from the ferris wheel.



Finn's favorite, the airplane ride.

It was fun to spend the day in L.A. despite the crazy traffic and long drive.  I haven't been there in a very long time and we even managed to squeeze in a quick visit with friends who live in Long Beach on the way home.  It was also nice to be away from the construction noise going on at our house.  Currently the roof framing is almost done, an update with pics to follow soon!



Bye from sunny Santa Monica!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun day.

    Hey...if you have any extra reclaimed wood you can dump it off at my house. I have a similar project in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Karin, I have so many ideas for our reclaimed wood! We are actually using some of it to rebuild our new exposed ceilings and roof where our old house will join into the new side, plus I want to do a half wall using the wood for visual interest, build a dining table, maybe a cabinet, endless possibilities! If by any chance I have anything left, I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete