Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's Crafty!


Our next reveal is our brand new downstairs bonus room which was formerly our original bedroom.  This room is now known as the craft/playroom but mostly it's going to be my woman cave!  It's funny because early on in the design process the small space behind the stairs was suppose to be the craft room.  Actually it was suppose to be the laundry room first but we decided to move the laundry upstairs into a closet so that it would take up less space and be closer to the bedrooms.  Anyhow, Mr. Bamboo ended up claiming the stairway room as his office/man cave and we even have a built in space underneath the stairs for Finn's boy cave!  So then I claimed the downstairs bedroom as mine!  It's just an extra room that could also be a guest room but since we already have the studio for that, it is really perfect for a craft/play room.  Finn can play in there while I am in the kitchen or doing other chores.  I can't wait to set it up with a project table and I already have the perfect red chairs, see this post!  We saved the original Douglas Fir floors and had them sanded and stained.  Here are the before pics:



and here are the after pics:




The floor turned out amazing thanks to floor guy Pete.

A few other changes that we did to this room was to get rid of the low ceiling and expose the roof boards.  Mr. Bamboo sanded and sealed these boards and they turned out great.  We also had new windows and a skylight installed and I especially love the little window that is installed in one of the eaves.  I had a magazine pic of a small window like this that I saved all these years so it was really cool to actually see my saved idea come to life finally!

We also used reclaimed boards salvaged from our former living room ceiling to fill in the eaves.  Some of the boards actually had red and white paint on them so we left them as is for more character but added a sealer to protect and preserve them.





One of my red cafe chairs and a bit of decor that will go in this room.  I will be going for a vintage schoolhouse, industrial theme with pops of red.



My new light fixture from Home Depot.  I love the vintage shape and the glass will help bounce light around the room amidst all the dark wood.


The light will hang from here.


This is the door that we salvaged and installed many years ago that has received a fresh coat of paint, I love this door!  


This is the new wall that separates the original side of the house to the new side.  The space in the wall is extra deep so we last minute decided to add in these built in areas in between the heating ducts and plumbing that runs behind here.  We aren't quite sure how we are going to finish off these spaces yet but I was thinking of having shelves installed with baskets on the bottom for art supplies and the top cubbies would display some of my vintage aqua ball jar collection.


We added a lot of electrical outlets while we could and even up high in case we wanted to add a wall mounted tv in this room someday.  Once we move in I will probably just hang a picture over the outlets for now.

  Lastly, a few pics of my leprechaun on St. Patty's Day.



Yummy key lime cupcakes made by good friend Kelly for our play group party.  The wine was for the mom's of course!


Finny boy celebrating in the studio digs!

Hopefully with some Irish luck we will only have less than a month to go before we move out of the studio into the new house!

Cheers!










No comments:

Post a Comment